The Lane Memorial Library Children's Room provides materials and programs for children and families from birth through sixth grade. We also provide assistance to teachers, caregivers, and others working with children.
Services that we offer include: story times for various ages, school vacation programs, and Summer Reading programs. The Children's Room collection contains picture books, board books, beginning readers, chapter books, fiction books, non-fiction books, audio books on CD, magazines and DVDs. The Children's Room also provides three public computers with Internet access and word processing capabilities. These computers are for children up through 6th grade.
Winter Storytimes run from Monday, January 11 through Thursday, February 18. The Children's Room offers a variety of ages/days of the week so that everyone can enjoy a Story Time. Pick the day/time that works best for you and your child and drop in!
- Baby Lapsit with Miss Kathy (Ages 0 - 15 months) This is a drop-in story time for infants/toddlers and their caregivers that will last approximately 15-20 minutes. It will include action rhymes and stories, tickles and songs and bounces! Mondays at 11 am in the Children's Room.
- Wiggles and Giggles with Miss Wendy (Ages 15 months - 3 years) Includes stories, songs, activities, bubbles and dancing. A snack is included (peanut-free). If your child has a gluten or egg allergy please feel free to bring your own snack. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am (runs approximately 20 minutes) in the Children's Room.
- Bookworms with Miss Paulina (age 3-4 years) Includes stories, songs, activities, bubbles and dancing. Wednesdays at 10:30 am (runs approximately 25 minutes) in the Children's Room.
- Reading Roundup with Miss Paulina (age 4-5 years) Includes stories, songs, activities, bubbles and dancing. Thursdays at 10 am (runs approximately 25-30 minutes) in the Children's Room.
Free Ebooks and Audiobooks
Kids ebooks and audiobooks are available free through our participation in the New Hampshire Downloadable Books Consortium. All you need is your library card number and a computer and/or portable device. Check out the site here: http://nh.lib.overdrive.com . This service offers over 6,000 ebooks and 6,000 audiobooks, including popular kids' titles like Harry Potter and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Some of the ebooks titles now include narration.
Any child age 7 and older who is a Hampton resident may get a library card. A brief form must be filled out, including proof of address for the child's parent/guardian. Additionally, a parent/guardian signature is required for cardholders under the age of 18. (Parents should be aware that under NH law, we provide checkout information only to the cardholder.)
Children's Room Newsletter
The library offers passes to the following museums: Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, Boston Children's Museum, and Children’s Museum of New Hampshire. One museum pass per family per day may be reserved up to 7 days in advance. You may reserve your pass by calling the library at (603) 926-3368. Please check our Museum Passes page for more information.
The Children's Room offers special programs and events throughout the year. These include sing–alongs, storytellers, a Valentine's Day Tea Party, animal programs, special arts and crafts projects and science programs. We also offer a fantastic Summer Reading program from mid–June to mid– August. Programs are sponsored by the town of Hampton and the Friends of the Lane Memorial Library . Please check the Library Event Calendar for a complete list of programs and to register online, or call the Children’s Room for more information at (603) 926-4729.
Safe Child Policy
Children up through the first grade must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times within the library. Second and third graders are welcome to explore the library with a parent or guardian in the building. Children in the fourth grade and above may responsibly visit the library without supervision
School Visits and Tours
We welcome classes to come and visit the library. Please call ahead to arrange a date and time so that the librarians can provide the best service and meet the needs of your class.
The Children's Room has a display case in which we showcase various collections. If you have a collection that you would like to show off, call or stop by to sign up. We maintain a list of children interested in providing a display and will call you when the next available month is free.
Award Winners and Book Lists
- Caldecot Medal Winners, 1938 to Present
- Newbury Medal Winners
- Great Stoneface Award Winners
- Boston Globe Horn Book Award Winners
- Coretta Scott King Book Award Winners
- Ladybug Picture Book Award Nominees
- Novelist Reading Advice for Kids
- Novelist listing of award winners
- Juvenile sequels and Series
We can assist children with choosing materials for school assignments and choosing books for book reports. Call us directly at (603) 926-4729, or check our online resources . We also welcome the opportunity to work in cooperation with area schools and teachers to meet curriculum requirements. Teachers may fill out our Assignment Alert Form to notify the library of upcoming assignments that will require library or online research.