The Hamptons Union, August 14, 1924


Hampton News

Vol. XXVI, No. 33

Hampton News

The Congregational Sunday school picnic which was to have been held Tuesday, was postponed until some day next week.

Mr. Chester Grady was given a surprise when his mother motored on from her home in Bristol, Conn., and stopped to see him on Monday.

Mrs. Amelia Noyes, Mrs. Marion Gates and daughter Madeline returned to their home in Chelsea on Thursday, after six weeks at the home of Mrs. Martha Locke.

Mrs. Frank Coffin is recuperating in the Exeter hospital from an operation performed Tuesday morning.

Mr. G. Summer Fall motored to North Berwick, Maine, Sunday for his mother. Mrs. Fall will visit him for a week before returning to her home.

Harold Keene has returned to his work in Cambridge, after spending a pleasant vacation with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William T. Keene.

Rev. and Mrs. John Cummings and Mr. and Mrs. Green of Boston took a very enjoyable motor trip last week. They went up thru the province of Quebec and made a pilgrimage to the Shrine of St. Ann De Beaupre.

Mr. Harry L. Moore, superintendent of the schools, was in town last week completing preparations for the opening of the schools.

Miss Eldridge, a Red Cross Public Health nurse, will take up the duties of Community Nurse in Hampton about September first.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry G. Nutter of Potsdam, New York, with their two sons and Mr. and Mrs. Remington and two daughters motored on to spend the month of August at the Milter Cottage at Plaice Cove. Mrs. John Nutter and daughter Clara from Flint, Michigan, joined them this week.

Joseph Berry, 417 Cedar St., Manchester, and Robert Blanchard, 23 Concord St., Nashua, were severely injured about two o'clock Tuesday morning when the machine in which they were riding turned over near the Elmwood farm. They were both taken to the Exeter Cottage Hospital. Berry suffered a fractured skull, broken collarbone, sprained ankle and internal juries, while his companion received a badly bruised head. Both are employed in a drug store at Durham. It is believed that the slippery road caused the accident.

Recent additions to the Public Library were several volumes of books, the gift of Mrs. Fred L. Lamprey.

J. J. Wrinn, owner of the Clifton Cottage near Leavitt's corner, is the pioneer of cement sidewalks at that end of the beach, having one laid this past week. Mr. Smithson of Smithson cottage continued the walk past his cottage making a very noticeable and necessary improvement at that part of the beach.

Mrs. Leonora Wing was a guest in town last week. Her sister Eleanor returned to Boston with her for a few days.

Mr. John Chipman of Brockton Mass. was a visitor of Mr. Henry Hobbs for a few days this week.

William Blake is painting the post office building, giving it a coat of white for the first time in many years. The town hall also has just been painted white.

Stewart Everett Rowe, who is campaigning for the nomination as county solicitor, gave an interesting program of songs with banjo accompaniment, poems and a straight forward political talk in the depot yard Monday night which was listened to with much pleasure by a good sized audience. Mrs. Rowe accompanied her husband and played the banjo. Another rally at Hampton Falls was held the same evening and all the towns in the county will be visited.

Harry Noyes was brought home from the hospital Sunday and stood the journey well. An X-ray film shows nine fractures in the ankle bones, and it is estimated that it will require six months to completely restore the limb. Mr. Noyes hopes to get about on crutches some, in another week.

Among the recent arrivals at Shady Lawn are the Misses Minnie Burke and Katharyn Kellard of Norwood, Mass., Alice MacCormack of East Bridgewater, Clara Wolfram, of Somerville and Mary Walsh of Malden. A minstrel show was given Tuesday night in which they took part to make a pleasant evening.

The Congregational Woman's Missionary Society met with Mrs. J. Q. Bennett on Wednesday with a large number present. The program consisted of music on the piano by Leonora Lane; singing by Mrs. Staples and Mrs. Leavitt, talks on Japan by Mrs. Ross, Miss Eloise Lane and Mrs. Wells gave an interesting account of her travels in Japan. An impressive memorial service in memory of Mrs. Vianna C. Marston, one of the first members of the society was held in charge of Mrs. E. G. Cole, Mrs. Blanchard read a suitable poem and a paper read by her life long friend Mrs. Lucy A. Marston who had worked with her thru many years. Mrs. Marston was loved and respected by all and the Missionary Society met with a great loss in her passing away. The supper prepared by Mrs. Bennett for her guests was as usual a delicious one, and it was very enjoyable to all.

A Republican rally in the interest of Captain Winant of Concord, who is the candidate for the Republican nomination for Governor, will be held in the town hall August 21, at eight o'clock. Watch for the posters.

Rev. Bernard Christopher has gone to his new pastorate at Lyndeboro. The remainder of his family have been staying at Rev. Mr. Barker's until the latter, with his family leave for Rindge on Friday for a week's vacation.

Gustavus Johnson of Minneapolis has purchased a home in Seabrook where the family will spend the summer and later make a permanent home. Mr. Johnson is a highly experienced piano tuner and had been associated with large manufacturers. He will be glad to tune pianos in Hampton and vicinity this summer. Orders can be left at his office.

Hampton Beach:

Edward Cole of the Hampton Beach Coast Guard station, has been transferred to the Salisbury Beach station, which has just been manned after three years of inactivity. Cole joined the coast guard service in 1903 at the local station, serving continuously at the various stations returning to Hampton a little over three years ago.

Anna Finlan of Lynn, Mass., was rescued from drowning Sunday afternoon and her chum Ivory Crooks of Lynn, who attempted to go to her assistance, was also taken from the water in an exhausted condition. Miss Finlan, who was considerable distance from the shore, was seized with cramps and had gone under twice when she was saved by William Walsh of Lowell, Mass. Her chum became exhausted in the attempt to reach her drowning companion and was rescued by Life Guard Percy Quinland. Both young women were taken to the first aid station and were able to return to their cottage after an hour.

The Hampton Beach fire department responded to a call from box 8 to extinguish a fire in an automobile. The car was owned by Hislop's garage at Portsmouth. It is said that a member of the party in the car lighted a match to ascertain the amount of gasoline in the tank. The damage was slight. In the morning Chief Whiting and men answered a call from the Chase filling station, Lafayette Road, where a motorcycle owned and operated by George C. Foster of 10 Mill street, Lowell, Mass., had caught fire. Bystanders extinguished the blaze before the arrival of the department.