The Hamptons Union, December 27, 1923

Hampton News

Mr. G. Sumner Fall, with his daughter Miss Ruth and son Mr. Bruce spent Christmas day with relatives in Haverhill.

Mr. and Mrs. Albert L. Coffin spent Christmas in Somerville, Mass. with the Misses Ethel and Hazel Steadman.

Miss Chadwick spent the Christmas holidays at her home in Passaic, N. J.

Mrs. Bernard Christopher will entertain Mother's Circle at her home, Wed. evening January 2.

Mr. Lewis B. Robinson, principal of the Centre school, returned to Hampton with his bride on Thursday and they are occupying rooms in Mr. Abbott Joplin's residence. Mrs. Robinson was Miss Vivian French of Milford, and they were married in that town on Dec. 15.

The entertainment to be given by the Monday Club, which was postponed, will be held Tuesday evening Jan. 8, 1924. It will consist of an impersonation and reading by Mrs. M. C. Perkins. It is hoped the entertainment will be well patronized as Mrs. Perkins is an exceptional entertainer.

Santa Claus was especially good to Mr. Dean Merrill. When he passed through town on Christmas eve he left a little son in that family.

The obituary notice of the late Mrs. Isabel Cole Shaw will be published next week.

The next meeting of the Women's Relief Corps will be Wednesday afternoon Jan 9th and the officers will be installed.

The missionary auxiliary of the Congregational church will meet on Wednesday Jan. 2, 1924. The leader will be Mrs. Addie Brown and the devotions will be in charge of Mrs. Carrie Perkins. This will be the meeting to which the gentlemen are invited and the hostesses will be Mrs. Sarah M. Lane, Mrs. Ellen Blake, Mrs. Annie Berry, Mrs. Marian Leavitt and Mrs. Samuel Brown.

Rev. John Cummings spent the holiday with his fiancée, Miss Ethel Skoog in Dorchester, Mass.

One of Hampton's most respected citizens passed away at his home Sunday morning of last week and in his passing has left general regret among those who knew him and were actively associated with him. Very few men in their passing will be so missed and mourned as the late Mr. Harrison Hobbs.

During his long life spent in Hampton he has been active in the church and all things pertaining to the welfare of the town in which he has been and has spent his long life of usefulness. The late Washington Harrison Hobbs was born in this town January 19, 1840, the home of the family then being what is familiarly known as the Hobbs homestead on the beach road and has been one of the old landmarks of this historic town.

The late Mr. Hobbs was for a period of sixty years actively identified with the Congregational church in the capacity of organist and member of the choir. He gave generously of his time both for the church and all those things in which he was interested. His home circle was a large one and only those who were permitted to share in its activities will appreciate just how much he'll be missed.

He possessed a keen sense of humor, an unusual memory and a fund of interesting reminiscences and was a welcome visitor at social functions. He came of a long line of ancestors who numbered among those who settled this historic town and very few men of the present generation had the fund of interesting anecdotes which the late Mr. Hobbs was able to command concerning those who had settled into the great beyond.

Funeral services of the late Mr. Hobbs were held from the home Tuesday afternoon of last week at 2 o'clock, and at 2:30 o'clock, from the Congregational church with which he had been associated for so long a period.

The very large number of floral pieces placed about the rooms attested the high esteem in which he was held. Although the day of the funeral services was a very unfavorable one, both were largely attended and were conducted by Rev. John Cummings and Rev. Edgar Warren, who made the eulogy at the church. Fred Varney of Newburyport sang in excellent voice, three selections including two of the late Mr. Hobbs' favorites. Relatives and friends were present at the services from New York, Boston, Georgia, Portsmouth and all of the adjoining cities. The funeral arrangements were in charge of William Brown and interment was in the family plot in the local cemetery.

William Norton has returned from the New England Baptist Hospital, Brookline, Mass., where he had an operation.

Mrs. Mary Chipman, Miss Martha, Mr. John and Robert Chipman drove down from Somerville Monday afternoon to spend the holiday with Dr. and Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Addie Brown. That evening all attended the community tree in the town hall. Christmas day was a delightful family party with Mrs. Lucy Marston and Miss Adeline present at dinner. In the afternoon the sisters made calls on their other sisters and brothers in town.