The Hamptons Union, January 27, 1921

Hampton News

The Friendly Class will meet with Miss Mary Craig on Friday evening, Jan. 28.

Mrs. Carrie Pressey has entered a sanitarium near Worcester where she hopes to be entirely restored to health.

Mrs. E. D. Berry still continues very ill, being very tenderly cared for by her sister, Mrs. Brown and granddaughter, Mrs. Newton.

The H. G. T. Club observed guest day recently with about fifty present. A delicious buffet luncheon was served. Favors were won by Mrs. Walter Palmer, Mrs. Stillings, Mrs. Janvrin, Mrs. Mitchell.

Mrs. Charles Batchelder continues quite ill in her home and friends are all hoping for her return to health.

Mr. Milo Hooke has purchased a new Ford Sedan.

A special meeting of the Mother's Circle will be held at the Baptist Chapel, Thursday, Feb. 3, at 2:30 P. M. Mrs. Arnold Yantis of Manchester, N. H. will be the speaker for the meeting. Members please take notice of the change in the hour. All members may being guests.

The service in the Congregational Church on Sunday for the I. O. O. F. and Rebekah Lodges was very impressive. The pastor preached an interesting sermon and the singing by the choir was exceptionally good. The duet sung by Mr. Noyes and Harold Clark and the solo by Miss Mary Chase were much enjoyed.

Mr. Warren entertained his fiancé over the last weekend.

The Missionary Society will hold its next meeting on Wednesday in the chapel.

Mrs. Flora Wilbar of Newton spent a few days in town this week.

The installation of officers of the W. R. Corps passed off very successfully on Wednesday. Miss Edith Paul of Portsmouth, Deputy President, installed the officers assisted by Mrs. Fernald of the same city. Very interesting addresses were made by Mr. Warren Perkins, Mr. Paul, Rev. Mr. Buker and Mr. Rupert Lindsey. A fine dinner was served at noon. The Corps was pleased to have Mrs. Elsie Godfrey with it at the installation.

Mr. William Blake has had a telephone put into his house on the Portsmouth Road.

Mrs. Herbert Perkins is suffering from blood poisoning due to a pimple which came on her chin.

The remains of Miss Nellie Merrill were brought here and placed in the tomb on Wednesday. The death of Miss Merrill was particularly sad as she was in perfect health. While crossing Commonwealth Ave. in Boston she was struck by an automobile driven by a lady, and instantly killed. Miss Merrill was a resident of Hampton from early girlhood until the death of her stepfather, the late Dr. Merrill and had many friends here. She is survived by a half brother, William Merrill, of New York.

The West End Club was entertained by Mrs. Helen Yeaton January 13. Four members were absent. We were delighted to have with us as guests Mrs. Freda Coffin, Mrs. Blanchard and Mrs. Philbrook. The usual business matters were attended to and the report of the last meeting read. The program was in charge of Mrs. Jessie R. Towle and was as follows: "The Spirit of Giving Is Still On," related to the Post Santa and the wonderful work he does and was read by Mrs. Jennie James. The Boy Your Mother Thinks You Are, was read by Mrs. Addie James. Mrs. Freda Coffin favored us with a selection on the piano from one of the operas. Some famous poems taken from the Youths Companion were read by one of the members. Singing by Mrs. Addie and Katherine James was then listened to. A social hour was enjoyed in which dainty refreshments were served. A very pleasant time was had by all.

Mrs. Annie B. Jenness, wife of John H. Jenness, died on Saturday at the Carney Hospital in Boston from the effects of a surgical operation. She was 60 years old and was widely known to Summer residents as a keeper of a boarding house. For many years she ran the Willow Tree House. The body was taken to Rye Beach for burial.