The Hamptons Union, January 24, 1918

Hampton News

Mr. Glines is able to be out a little.

There seems to be no serious illness in town.

The weather though severe is healthful.

The ones reported ill, are continuing comfortable.

To the regret of many friends, Mrs. Leonora Bradley Wing, has gone to Milton, Mass., for an indefinite period.

The two ladies with broken wrists are doing as well as can be expected.

D. D. Grand Master Roland C. Emery and Suite installed the officers of Twilight Lodge, No. 68 of Newton, recently. Wednesday evening, they performed their work at a Joint installation of the officers of Piscataqua Lodge, No. 6 and New Hampshire Lodge, No. 17 both of Portsmouth.

A report from one Soldier's Christmas box is interesting. From Somewhere in France, box delivered Christmas morning. "It was some box, the boys called it a "Young Trunk". The cake lasted us about 3 minutes. I have on one pair of the stockings, shall put on helmet when I go in trench tomorrow. I am writing on paper you sent, by one of your candles, used wash cloth and soap. Am using a bit of sweet chocolate each day. How did A. think of lime drops, just what I wanted, they are one dollar a lb. over here. Everything was fine, this shows how things are appreciated, "Over in France".

It was fortunate that many did not go to Exeter, on Wednesday evening, to hear Ex-President Taft. Chief Tolman, Walter Scott and Ray Haseltine went over but with many others could not get in for the crowd, many were turned away.

A very pleasant meeting of the W. C. T. U. was held with Mrs. A. M. True. Mrs. Lucy Redman had the program, and a memorial service was held for Mrs. Lydia A. Brown, the oldest member of Hampton's W. C. T. U. Union.

All Odd Fellows in District No. 5 are urged to keep in mind the district meeting on Friday evening, Feb. 1st. A supper is to be served from 7:30 to 8:30, and no charge will be made for the same. The attendance is desired of every member who can make it convenient to be present and help make this meeting the biggest success ever, in spite of the Hun and the obstacles he has tried to place in the path of civilization. We wish particularly to direct the attention of brothers of other jurisdictions, and of other districts within our state, to this meeting; come and see us and let us make you feel right at home. Our reception committee will be right on the job and glad to be of service. It is very desirable that every lodge and every brother should take advantage of this get-together meeting, as matters of importance to us all are to be discussed by the grand officers. The more the merrier; everybody come.

The Birthday Club will be held with Mrs. Jane Thompson on Thursday, Jan. 31. All members should be present.

Miss Margaret Thornton of Newton, Mass., has been a recent guest of her sister, Mrs. Charles Raymond.

Kenneth Marston and Forrest Blake are logging for a big concern in the northern part of the state.

The train that has usually left here for Boston at 11:13 now leaves at 11:04 A. M.

Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Blake returned from Washington on Tuesday, where they had been to meet their son, Percival, who expects to leave for France before long to engage in forestry.

The remains of Sylvanus B. Coffin were brought to town for burial on Saturday afternoon. Mr. Coffin was the son of Capt. Aaron Coffin, and was born in 1839. He married Sarah A. Philbrick and they have spent their married life in Hyde Park, Mass.

The Woman's Club met on Monday afternoon with Mrs. C. E. Cole. Music was furnished by Mrs. Coffin. Interesting papers were given on the following subjects: French Canadians, Mrs. Brown; Montreal, Mrs. Coffin; select reading, Mrs. Whittier.

Fire Threatens Summer Colony

Hampton Beach -- Fire, which for a time threatened to sweep the entire summer cottage section of the Boar's Head section of the beach, destroyed the home of John D. Dodge, at one time Prohibition candidate for governor of New Hampshire, and the summer cottages of John Robinson and George Marsten. The loss is more than $10,000. The three houses were grouped. Only with the greatest difficulty did the Hampton and Hampton Beach fire departments keep the flames from spreading further. The fire started in the closed Marsten cottage, ignition coming from a defective electric wire, it is believed.