The Hamptons Union, November 15, 1917

Hampton News

Miss Belle Nudd is reported as convalescing from her recent severe attack of the measles.

Mr. and Mrs. William Redman and daughter left Wednesday morning for their winter home in Florida.

John L. Adams of Sherborn, Mass., today returned to his home, after visiting his brother, Charles Francis Adams, having also spent a few days in Tamworth.

Mrs. Flora Thurlow, wife of Rev. Samuel Thurlow of Moultonborough, was recently visiting relatives in town.

Mahlon F. Perkins, son of Lewis Perkins of this town, has recently been appointed U. S. Consul to China. During his ten years' residence there he has passed through the several gradations of the service of student interpreter, vice consul, deputy and vice consul, and for the past three years has held the position of Senior Vice Consul General in Shanghai. By virtue of this office he has been the official interpreter and judge in the mixed court, where many capital cases come up for settlement and from his decision there is no appeal. The new position carries with it a corresponding increase in salary.

The meeting last Sunday evening in aid of the Y. M. C. A. Fund was very largely attended. The entire program was most impressive and left a lasting influence on all present. The subscriptions for the fund are coming freely and the committee in charge are much gratified. Next week the name of each contributor will be published in the Union.

At her home in Newburyport Nov. 9th occurred the death of Mrs. Marietta Blake, wife of G. B. Blake, after an illness of several years. She was not confined to her bed until near the end. After prayer at the home by Rev. A. E. Walton, pastor of the Adventist Church in Newburyport the relatives accompanied the deceased to this town where in the Advent Church with its capacity taxed to the limit the final services were held. The service was in charge of Rev. F. L. Long pastor of the church; the male quartette rendered the following selections, "Going Down the Valley", and "Somewhere, Sometime."

Mrs. Blake was the daughter of Mr. Swett Lamprey of this Town and spent her early life here, having moved to Newburyport owing to the location of Mrs. Blake's work. A father, step-mother, a husband, two sons, two daughters and one grandchild, one brother and many other relatives mourn loss of a loved one. Burial was in the local cemetery.

East Rockingham Pomona grange was most splendidly entertained by Oceanside grange on Wednesday of this week. Both morning and afternoon meetings were of especial interest, and a rising vote of thanks was extended for the excellent Hoover dinner enjoyed by more than three hundred patrons.

Monday evening, Nov. 19, the Mother's Circle will be entertained by Mrs. Roger Thompson. This organization is rapidly growing, and is of vital interest to all its members.

The members of the M.E. Ladies' Aid were pleasantly entertained on Wednesday afternoon at the church vestry, Mrs. Ira E. Lane and Mrs. Elizabeth Akerman serving as hostesses.

The dead body of Miss Minnie W. Drake of North Hampton was discovered lying beside the railroad track a short distance from her home late last Thursday night when citizens of the district were called out to fight a woods fire. Examination showed that she had been dead for several hours, killed by being struck by a train, and Medical Referee George E. Pender, who was called at 11:30, viewed the remains. He found a severe scalp wound and the right leg broken in two places.

Miss Drake who was 50 years old, has been postmistress at Little Boar's Head for several years and she had been in the habit of returning to her home by walking along the track from the North Hampton station of the Boston & Maine, generally leaving the station between five and six o'clock in the evening. Although no one was found who had seen her start home that evening she had made some purchases at a store near the station and these packages were close to where the body was found.

It is supposed that as a train was passing she had stood too close to the track and the suction caused by the rushing train drew her to the point where she was hit. She was not run over. Miss Drake is survived by one brother and several sisters, all residents of North Hampton. The body was removed to the undertaking rooms of J. Verne Wood, after being viewed by Dr. Pender.

Percy H. Brown of Marsh Avenue, Hampton, has been reported to the adjutant general by the local war draft board as a delinquent, having failed to report to the board when called for examination. Brown is known to be in the army already but to date he has failed to report the fact to the local board on the official papers forwarded to him and had not made any attempt to file a claim for discharge from the draft to which he is entitled.