The Hamptons Union, August 23, 1917

Hampton News

Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Marden of New York are spending a few weeks at the Eagle house, Hampton Beach.

Among the guests staying at the home of Miss Clara J. Powers is Miss Flora Strout of Baltimore, Maryland, who has recently returned from spending five years in Burma as organizing secretary for the World's Work of the W. C. T. U., including work in Ceylon and Japan. Other guests are Mrs. F. E. Porter and Miss Elizabeth Porter of Wellesley Hills, and Miss Elizabeth LeCoultie of Boston.

William Gilpatrick of Hampton and F. A. Drew of North Hampton went to Lebanon, Me., on Monday, to attend the celebration of that town where they were brought up as boys.

Nelson J. Norton has been ill this week with an abscess over the eye. He has been attended to by Dr. Fernald.

Services at the Congregational church last Sunday were well attended, over 140 being present. Rev. Wallace H. Sterns preached a most excellent sermon from the text, "Why call ye me Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" Mrs. Arthur Young was organist, and a choir of young people, which is just being organized, sang. Miss Mary Chase of Hampton Falls sang a solo that was much enjoyed, as Miss Chase's solos always are. Attendance at Sunday school was also large, with not a single absence among teachers or officers.

On Sunday, August 19, Mrs. Augusta A. Poor celebrated her 83rd birthday, and during Sunday and Monday twenty of Mrs. Poor's many friends dropped in to see her. Especially welcome was a call from a favorite cousin, Mrs. ex-Governor Felker, whose custom it is to visit Mrs. Poor on each birthday. Beautiful flowers and confectionary and other remembrances showed that though Mrs. Poor cannot leave the house she is by no means forgotten. Mrs. Philbrick, Mrs. Poor's daughter, served delicious ice cream and cake to callers, and all hope that they will be able to help Mrs. Poor celebrate her next birthday, and expect to find her as ready with smile and jest as ever.

Miss Wilda Chipman, of Somerville is the guest of Miss Eloise Lane this week.

Miss Adeline Marston will visit friends in Boston and vicinity for a few days.

John Gilman and Otis H. Marston went to Boston, early on Tuesday morning, joined in the G. A. R. parade, and other exercises, and came home the same day. J. T. Godfrey is staying through the week, and Oliver H. Godfrey could not attend any meeting of the G. A. R. as he is in Newton hospital, having had an operation performed for ulcers in the stomach.

Miss Flora Y. Joplin of this town and Mr. Wilfred R. Feeney of Haverhill, Mass., were married at the Joplin residence, Monday, August 20.

Relatives of the bride and groom and a few personal friends were present. Of Mr. Feeney's relatives four generations were represented.

The house was tastefully decorated with flowers and ferns, the marriage taking place under an arch of green, with a background beautiful with ferns.

As the wedding march was played by Miss Bertha Chesley of Amesbury, the bride appeared attended by her father, Judge Abbott Joplin, and preceded by her two nieces, Olga and Dorothy Wilkinson of Lawrence. She wore a gown of white crepe de chine and carried a shower bouquet of sweet peas. Mr. C.N. Hoyt of Haverhill, the best man, accompanied the groom as they met the bride before the bridal arch.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. Wallace Henry Sterns, a brother-in-law of the bride, the double ring service being used.

Following the wedding, there was a brief reception, refreshments being served, and Mr. and Mrs. Feeney departed amid the usual merriment as the guests showered them with confetti.

After a week of absence they expect to occupy the new cottage at North Beach which is nearing completion; and later will reside in Haverhill, where Mr. Feeney is employed in the Merrimack National Bank.

Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson., one of our oldest and most respected citizens, observed her eighty-eighth birthday Sunday.

Friends of the Rev. J. A. Longland, will be glad to hear that his health is much better, and that they are very pleasantly situated in their new home in Vermont.

On Wednesday was held the auction at the late home of George W. Brown. It was once a beautiful place, but now shows marks of neglect and decay. There are two sisters aged and infirm in Boston, and the disposal of the home and contents is left to strangers. There were many fine and valuable things in the house, the accumulation of years of prosperity and good taste. As the auctioneer from Boston could not open the auction without special license, Mr. Warren Prescott did this, then turned it over to Mr. Haley, auctioneer from Boston, who through a long, tedious day was patient and courteous to all. There were a number of antique dealers present, which of course helped in the disposal of the more valuable articles.