Table of Contents
On the grounds of the Tuck Museum on Park Avenue in Hampton is a small well, covered by a metal grate. At the bottom of this small well is a large rock covered with slashes and grooves that some believe once marked the final resting place of Thorvald (or Thorwald) Ericsson, brother of the famous Viking explorer Leif Ericsson. For more on this Hampton landmark, follow the links below:
- Thorvald's Rock
- An article by John Hirtle of the Atlantic News, October 6, 2006
- Thorvald's Tombstone is a Hoax
- J. Dennis Robinson of SeacoastNH.com debunks the myth
- Boar's Head: Glaciers, Vikings and Erosion
- A chapter from Peter Randall's Hampton: A Century of Town and Beach.
- Viking Headstone or Big Old Rock?
- An article from Hampton Union of October 2, 1998.
- Thorvald's Grave: Fact or Legend?
- Story and Photographs by David V. Craig, published in New Hampshire Profiles magazine, January 1974.
- Viking Grave in Hampton? Surfside Dig Begins
- An article about an upcoming archaeological dig at the site, from Hampton Union, Augsut 29, 1973
- The Vikings in New England
- From "Stories of New Hampshire" by Eva Speare.
- The Vikings in Hampton
- An article by James W. Tucker from his "Our Town" column, July 26, 1951.
- Thorvald's Stone Riddle Is Solved
- (From an unknown Boston newspaper), 1938
- An article by William D. Cram from Hampton's 1938 Tercentenary Booklet.
- "Thorvald Rock" Still Remains Unmoved As Scientists Study On
- An article from Hampton Union, July 28, 1938
- Thorvald's Grave
- by William D. Cram, December 2, 1937. An accounting of how it was first discovered.
- Norseman's Grave
- The 1902 Hamptons Union article by Charles M. Lamprey that first presented the idea that this stone could be the grave of Thorvald.