The David Towle House
Old Home Day
1638 - Town of Hampton - 1960
234 Lafayette Road
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Elliott M. Gordon at 234 Lafayette Road, (in 1960) corner of Drakeside, has an unusual history. It was the Tavern House of Widow Mary Leavitt and stood on the Portsmouth Road. The original tavern was burned, and "the next day after the fire, the neighbors got together with eight-score oxen, as we hear, to draw her timber for the new house." This was in March 1733, and the house which the neighbors so kindly and promptly assisted in building was many years afterward moved to its present site and owned and occupied by David Towle.
Indian shutters are one interesting feature of this house.
Mr. and Mrs. Claude LeRoux who owned this property in 1952 were instrumental in restoring it to its original plan as far as possible.
[In 2001, the building was the offices of Sanders & McDermott, Attorneys at Law.)
For more information on this house, see the page from the 1962 Old Home Day booklet