The Philbrick House
Old Home Day
1638 - Town of Hampton - 1960
22 Exeter Road
Built in 1763 by William Smith and his wife Deliverance. Sold by the Smith's in 1789 to "Daniel Philbrick, his son Jonathan and his son's wife Esther." Sold by William Philbrick in 1943 to Carl M. and Gertrude N. Lougee, the present (1960) owners.
The location at 22 Exeter Road was originally known as "Wigwam Row" receiving its name from Indian Wigwams built in the declivity of the hill where it slopes down in a Southwesterly direction toward the meadows. The high ground above was covered with dense forest and therefore a spot more sheltered from the cold winds and storms of winter could hardly be found.
Exeter Road was built at a very early period, and originally was simply an Indian Trail through the woods. Tradition has it that this road was laid out by a bear: the story being that Bruin made a night raid on the settlement near "Wigwam Row" and that men going in pursuit the next morning followed its tracks in the light snow to its watering place at Squamscott Falls and built the road accordingly. This they say accounts for its crookedness.
James Philbrick, grandfather of Daniel was a mariner and engaged in much town business as Selectman, Surveyor, lot-layer, etc. From 1690-1700, his books show him to have been trading considerably between Martha's Vineyard and Hampton in lumber, wood, hides, spices, molasses, iron and wooden ware, cloths, cutlery and other merchandise. He was once taken on the high seas by a French privateer, which captured his vessel as a prize. A storm arising, he guided his captors to safe harborage, and in gratitude, they gave him back his vessel. During the storm, he begged them to spare an old Bible they were about to throw overboard. This they did. (The Bible was published in 1583.)
The original Hampton Philbrick -- Thomas Philbrick came to Hampton at an unknown date, but he died in Hampton in 1667 as his will was proved on the 8th of October in that year.