Hampton's New Odd Fellows' Building
By L. K. H. Lane
The Exeter News-Letter
January 10, 1896
At left is presented a perspective view of the new Odd Fellows' building in Hampton now in process of erection by Rockingham Lodge, Number 22. This lodge, which is one of the most flourishing in the state, was instituted at Hampton Falls in 1848, and in 1883, removed to Hampton where it leased for lodge room purposes, the upper floor of the Hampton Academy building which it has since occupied. The lodge numbers one hundred and seventy members. Winnacunnet Rebekah Lodge, and Hunto Encampment, connected branches of the order, were instituted in Hampton in the years 1885 and 1886 respectively. Owing to the rapid and constant growth of these lodges, the fact has for a long time been plainly obvious that, as a matter of necessity, more extensive quarters would have to be provided for their accommodation. In 1893, it being evident that the building of a hall could not much longer be deferred, a committee was chosen to select and purchase a suitable site. In executing this commission, it displayed admirable judgment, securing a lot the Perry estate, near the depot and business center of the town. The price paid was $1,000.
In June last, a vote was passed to build a hall and arrangements to that end began immediately. A building committee was appointed which invited and considered plans from several well known architects, those by H. S. Paul, of Portsmouth, being accepted. The contract for erecting and completing the building was awarded to Abbott L. Joplin, of Hampton, for $4,000. Work was begun in September and has since progressed rapidly.
Description Of The Building