Hampton Legion Votes to Sell Hall
Special to the Hampton Union
Hampton Union, June 7, 1962
[The following article is courtesy of the Hampton Union.]
Verification was received this week that the American Legion building on Exeter road is being sold to the Lyndstrom Trucking Co., of Melrose, Mass.
The sales agreement has already been signed and the consummation of the sale transaction is expected to become effective July 2. Included in the purchase, according to Atty, Alfred Casassa, is the building proper and one and one-half acres of land.
The Legion is retaining six and one-half acres of land at the property site, although most of it is under water at present.
Plans are being completed for the final meeting to be held in the building June 19. This will probably be a joint get together of Legionnaires and Auxiliary members to bid farewell to the old building and the nostalgic memories of comradeship shared within its walls for many years.
The Hampton landmark originally served as a powerhouse for the trolley car lines (The Exeter, Hampton and Amesbury Street Railway Company) between Exeter and Hampton. It was later converted into a community hall and was used by Hampton Academy basketball teams as a home-court prior to 1939. A skating rink was also constructed in the wing of the building when the facilities were used by the Community Club.