The Native Americans of Hampton, N.H.
Below are links to stories and articles about the original inhabitants of the Hampton area.
- The Indians of Winnacunnet
- 1959 Hampton Union article by James W. Tucker
- Salt Marsh Indian Relics Are Protected
- 1978 newspaper article reporting on some local archaelogical digs.
- Winnacunnet: An Historic Name for an Historic Town
- The origin of the term 'Winnacunnet' came from the local Indians
- "Owaissa, Owaissa"
- An old Indian legend from Hampton Beach
- Excerpts from Joseph Dow's History of Hampton
- The Hunt's Island Site: A Prehistoric Vantage Point on Hampton Harbor, by Mark Greenly
- (PDF file) Copyright 1999 Mark D. Greenly. All rights reserved. This article originally appeared in The New Hampshire Archeologist, Volume 39, Number 1, published by the New Hampshire Archeological Society. Copies of this or other issues may be obtained by contacting to Donald Foster, Phillips Exeter Academy, P.O. Box 2277, 20 Main Street, Exeter NH 03833-2460; tel: (603) 777-3452; email: firstname.lastname@example.org