The Trolley Era of Hampton
1897 - 1926
By John M. Holman, Contributing Writer
In O.R. Cummings "TROLLEYS TO THE CASINO", published in 1969 which gives in detail the history of the "Trolley Era of Hampton -- 1897 - 1926", Mr. Cummings had the following to say,
"An interesting aftermath of the municipal operation of the Exeter, Hampton & Amesbury (Street Railway) occurred in March 1949 when the Hampton Town Hall was destroyed by fire. One item of property saved was an old wall clock, which formerly had hung in the office at the Hampton carhouse. When the barn was sold in 1927, the clock was installed in the Hampton town clerk's office, where it became known as the "$80,000" clock, symbolizing Hampton's loss in its ill-fated railway venture. Stored briefly after the fire, it later was returned to useful service in the [Selectmen's Meeting Room at 136 Winnacunnet Road] in a new municipal office building."
[In November 1999, the clock was relocated to the
Selectmen's Meeting Room in the new Town Office
Building at 100 Winnacunnet Road, Hampton.]