1638 -- 1988
Rockingham County Newspaper -- July 8, 1988
Hampton Union and Seacoast Online.]
The original 1638 boundaries of Hampton stretched from what is now Rye to what is now Sandown, and included the present towns of Danville, Kingston, East Kingston, Kensington, Hampton, Hampton Falls, North Hampton and Seabrook.
However, travel to Hampton center took much time in colonial days, prompting these areas to begin building their own churches and meeting halls. Soon alter, they started breaking away from Hampton and were incorporated into separate towns.
Kingston, incorporated in 1690, was the first to break away, followed by Hampton Falls, 1712; Kensington, 1737; East Kingston and Rye, 1738; North Hampton, 1742; Sandown, 1756; Danville, 1760; and Seabrook, 1768.
The Congregational Church will recognize the daughter towns in a special service July 17 at 10 am.