History of the Hampton Fire Department
A tradition of service, courage and pride
Courtesy of Atlantic News & AdvertiserJanuary 10, 1984
- SECTION 5 -
VOTED - Than an additional tank be purchased for the chemical wagon, and that one hundred and fifty dollars be raised and appropriated for the same.
VOTED - That the question of housing the chemical wagon and fire apparatus, both at the center of town and at the beach, be left with the selectmen, and that the sum of twelve hundred dollars be raised and appropriated for that purpose.
VOTED - That the Town proceed to ballot for a Chief Fire Ward.
CHOSE - Uri Lamprey Chief Fire Ward.
VOTED - That the Chief Fire Ward be authorized to establish a fire company in the Town of Hampton, consisting of not more than twenty men.
VOTED - That the selectmen be instructed to buy a two wheel, forty gallon chemical wagon for the fire department.
Chief Fire Ward Uri Lamprey organized the Hampton Fire Dept. under the State Laws of New Hampshire March 12, 1914.
The first indication of a permanent fire dept. was found in Article #8 of the annual Town Meeting held February 16, 1923.
"To see if the Town will vote to raise and appropriate money to hire 4 men, A.H. Brown as Chief at $35. and three others at $25. per week, for the maintainance of Fire Dept. - at the beach."
Report of Fire Chief
Force of Department
Sept. 7, 1912: Mason House burned, loss $4,000. Insured. William Hayes's house end badly burned. Insured. Mrs. Chase's house badly scorched. Insured. The sheds of Thomas Cogger, wagons and sleds in them. Total loss.
Sept. 17, 1912: Harry Cleveland's ell roof burned. Loss covered by insurance.
Officers and Members
We also need a house to put our wagon in, and truck, if we get it; also a place for the company to meet in.
If anyone knows of a fire, please call the Central Telephone office and they will notify the company.
I wish to thank the members of the company for the interest they have taken in the forming of the company.
ELMER C. KING,