Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: Blacksmiths
Benjamin Batchelder, of the fifth generation from Rev. Stephen and his son, John Batchelder, were blacksmiths in the latter half of the last century.
Adj. David Towle opened his shop in 1801, where his grandson, John C. Marston, now lives.
Thomas Lane, born in 1785, pursued that calling at the "east end" till late in life, and was succeeded by Simon L. Jenness and his son, Abbott B., who still make the anvil ring at the old stand.
Thomas Lane, Jr., born in 1812, was long a blacksmith, on the Portsmouth road. He died in 1873, and the shop has been taken down.
Josiah Dearborn built a blacksmith's shop on the low ground between his tavern and his homestead; and later, his son Samuel, blacksmith, had his house and shop on the same road, a few rods north of the Dearborn Homestead. This was the same previously occupied by Thomas Leavitt, blacksmith, and is now the residence of John G. Brown. The shop is gone.
Enoch P. Young's shop, established about 1847, still flourishes under his son and successor, Abbott L. Young.
Oliver Godfrey in the north part of the town, and Joseph R. Sanborn in the west, successor to his father, Jeremiah Sanborn, receive a full share of patronage.