Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: Carpenters -- Steam Sawmill / Brown's Steam Sawmill Business

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents

Carpenters -- Steam Sawmill

There are many good carpenters in Hampton, most of whom are employed by Samuel W. Dearborn, contractor, who began work as a carpenter, in 1866, and by degrees, enlarged his business till now he employed from twelve to twenty-five Hampton men; has building contracts constantly in Hampton, and at various points within a radius of twelve miles or more; and handles, annually, at lease a hundred twenty-five thousand feet of pine, three hundred thousand spruce and hemlock, and a million shingle.

In 1879, in partnership with James W. Berry, he built the steam sawmill, which has become so important a feature of the town. Some told them they were "fools for their pains;" but the enterprise was successful, and has long since proved itself a necessity. The mill was run, at first, with a thirty horse power engine.

At the end of two years, the partnership was dissolved, Berry remaining in the mill business, and Dearborn retaining an interest in the lumber-yard and leasing the upper story of the mill for a workshop. Two years later, Mr. Berry put in a forty horse power engine, and he now saws from five to six hundred thousand feet, annually, of all sorts, mostly pine.

Brown's Steam Sawmill Business

In 1863, Jacob T. Brown bought a portable steam sawmill, and located it successively in Kensington, Newton, West Amesbury and Hampton Falls, but never in Hampton. This is the mill which he exchanged for property on Taylor's river (mentioned under the caption, Browns' Mill).

Either in his own name or in company with others, Mr. Brown has employed steam sawmills in operating wood-lots in Hampton, Stratham, Greenland, Exeter, North Hampton, Seabrook and Salisbury, besides the towns above mentioned.

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents