Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: Little Boar's Head to Rye / Hampton Falls to Exeter / Shaw's Hill to Little River
Little Boar's Head to Rye
Hampton Falls to Exeter
Shaw's Hill to Little River
In 1739 it was voted in town meeting, that the selectmen keep all roads at their usual width, and prosecute all that "shall intrude on them."
"Intrusion" by moving out fences seems sometimes to have occasioned serious trouble. The road most injured was the one "that leads from the place called Windmill-hill [See next chapter -- Johnson's Windmill.] to Freese's landing, so called." It was proposed to "choose a committee to judge upon" this road. This was in December, 1765.
The town refused to appoint a committee to consider the matter at that time, but a few months afterward depositions were taken, to show the fact and the extent of the encroachments. It appeared that within the remembrance of some elderly persons who gave their testimony, the landing road had been very wide and its side boundaries well understood; that these had remained unchanged for many years, but for a considerable time before this investigation a change had been going on; and now the fences of some of the owners of adjoining lands had been built many feet outside of the original lines. Probably the bounds were set back, but no record remains.