Bound Rock

Bound Rock, one of Hampton's historical landmarks, is the boundary marker between the towns of Seabrook and Hampton. Now situated at the end of and between Plymouth and Woodstock Streets at Seabrook Beach, three centuries ago it stood in the middle of Hampton River.
Bound Rock
Bound Rock Historical Marker
with its protective well in the background

New Hampshire Historical Marker

Bound Rock -- No. 120

Designation & date installed: Hampton (120) 1978
Bound Rock

Description: "This rock, originally in the middle of the Hampton River, indicated the start of the boundary line surveyed by Capt. Nicholas Shaply and marked by him "AD 1657-HB and SH" to determine the line between Hampton and Salisbury, HB meaning Hampton Bound and SH, Shaply's mark. Lost for many decades due to the shifting of the river's mouth, the original course of the river and the Bound Rock were rediscovered in 1937. This historically important boulder, still serving as the boundary marker, was enclosed by the State of New Hampshire that same year. The marker was erected in cooperation with the Town of Hampton."

Where is it? To get to Bound Rock, take Route 1-A south toward Seabrook. Take the first left past the bridge over the Hampton Harbor Inlet, which is Eisenhower Street. Following Eisenhower to Campton Street, turn right onto Portsmouth Street, then left onto Woodstock Street.

The Inscriptions on Bound Rock (1657, 1850, 1861)