This photo of a hand-tinted postcard shows the 1852 Academy building with the Congregational Church at the foot of Academy Avenue, right.
Two early engravings of the Academy: The one at left, from an Ambro-type by G. B. Sawyer of Salmon Falls, is from a large multicolored map of Rockingham County published in 1857 by Smith & Coffin, Philadelphia. The Academy was one of eight county buildings pictured. The drawing at right, showing the "outbuildings," is an illustration from a newspaper account of Hampton's 250th Anniversary celebration in 1888.
The 1852 Academy building with bicyclist: This engraving was inserted in Dow's "History of Hampton" by the Academy Board of Trustees at a cost of $25. Dow's was published in 1893.
Hampton Academy "Catalogue" for 1825: The earliest catalogues were single-sheet flyers; later, they were issued in booklet form. This framed catalogue hangs in the Tuck Museum. [Photo courtesy of Harold E. Fernald, Jr.]