Hampton Academy & Winnacunnet High School Alumni Association
Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents
65th Anniversary, Historic Souvenir Booklet, 1972
The Alumni Association and the Trustees financed the construction of this replica of the 1852 Academy building for Hampton's Tercentenary Parade in 1938. It won first place in the Schools Division. George Frank Savage, in his 80s (shown above), built the replica. Mr. Savage was the grandfather of Barbara (Savage) Toppan '36.
Shingling the Academy Model: In the spring of 1970, the replica of the old Academy building which was used in Hampton's Tercentenary Parade (1938) was taken out of storage, weatherized and set up at the Winnacunnet Plantation Restoration on Meeting House Green. The Winnacunnet High School Historical Society did much of the work in getting the Restoration buildings ready for the Grand OPening in July 1970. Shown is W.H.S. student David MacArthur ('73) and Society advisor Harold E. Fernald, Jr. '49.
Units in the grand-opening parade for the Winnacunnet Plantation Restoration on July 11, 1970, assembled at the Hampton Academy Junior High School. Pictured above, with the 1853 Winnacunnet No. 1 pumper in the background, are N.H. Governor Walter R. Peterson, Jr., and State Representative Stanwood S. Brown '43 of Hampton in the latter's canary yellow and black 1923 Ford. Looking on at left is Hampton Police Detective Norman Brown.
The grounds of Meeting House Green as it looked in July 1970 for the grand-opening of the Winnacunnet Plantation. The Academy replica can be seen in the right rear of the photo with the General Store on left, with the stocks in front.